Recent Community Posts
Home Vacation Preparation Checklist
If you come home to water or fire damage pick up the phone and call SERVPRO of West Vancouver / Clark Co. @ (360) 695-4418
Your vacation should be relaxing and worry-free. That’s why it’s a good idea to prepare your home before you leave on any long trip. Then, any problems on the home front are just one less thing to worry about.
Make your house look lived-in
An empty house is like an open invitation to burglars. To keep your house looking occupied:
- Stop the newspaper and mail – or ask a trusted neighbor to pick them up
- Park your car inside the garage, if you have one
- Ask a neighbor to park in your driveway occasionally so there’s activity at your house
- Put at least one light in your house on a timer
- Install a motion-activated sensor on an outdoor floodlight. (Burglars hate outdoor lighting – and that’s why we love it)
- Make sure your lawn stays trimmed
Take the necessary plumbing and electrical precautions
Running appliances while you’re away is not only a needless expense, it could also lead to costly problems. To avoid the possibility of an appliance breakdown while you're away:
- Unplug small appliances and electronic devices
- Put the water heater in “vacation” mode
- Turn off water valves to the dishwasher, washing machine and all sinks
- Set your thermostat to a temperature closer to outside temps (warmer in the summer, cooler in the winter) but which still protects your plants, pets and furniture
General home preparation
Other things to consider doing before your vacation:
- Notify your credit card company and home security company that you’ll be out of town
- Make sure your smoke detectors are working properly
- Leave your emergency contact information with a neighbor
- Dispose of any food that could go bad before you return from vacation
- Take out the kitchen trash – especially anything that might start to stink
- Run your garbage disposal with a half-cup of vinegar and some water
Following this home preparation checklist before you leave for your vacation could save you a headache later. If you come home to water or fire damage pick up the phone and call SERVPRO of West Vancouver / Clark Co. @ (360) 695-4418
This article is compliments of Nationwide Insurance and be found here.
Red Cross in Dire Need of Platelet Donations
The American Red Cross Emergency Response Vehicle (ERV)
The American Red Cross has an emergency need for eligible donors to make an appointment now to give platelets to ensure critical patient needs are met. Platelets , the clotting portion of blood primarily given to cancer patients during treatment, must be transfused within five days of donation and, therefore, are always ib great demand. Seasonal colds and flu are currently preventing many regular donors from giving, and the devastating impact of Hurricane Matthew has disrupted donations in many locations in the Southeast. More than 95 blood drives have been forced to cancel resulting in nearly 3,000 uncollected blood and platelet donations. While there is an emergency need for platelets, donors can also help by giving blood as there is an urgent need for all types. For more information and to schedule an appointment, download the American Red Cross Donor App, visit www.redcrossblood.org/giveplatelets, or call 1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767)
Thank You to the American Red Cross for the above request and information.
SERVPRO of W. Vancouver/Clark Co. 360-254-0049
September National Preparedness Month
September is National Preparedness Month which means that public safety agencies are busy working on a number of events that their communities are educated, informed and ready to face any type of crisis situation. This year's national theme is "Don't Wait. Communicate. Make Your Emergency Plan Today." CRESA will help the community take action with its online social media game, 30 Days, 30 Ways Preparedness Challenge.
Players are given a daily challenge at 7 a.m. each morning. Players may submit replies to each of the tasks involved throughout the month to Facebook, Twitter, commenting on the 30 Days Blog or by email. Participants can choose to play as many days as they like, and may also catch up and complete past tasks if they miss a day. All tasks will be short and will not require a significant amount of time to complete.
Thanks to generous sponsors, winners will be selected and rewarded with gift cards to Amazon in October. Submissions will be reviewed for their creativity, relativity to the task and its evident popularity online. This game sparks great conversations and is a wonderful platform for neighborhoods, scouts, schools and workplaces.
Thank you CRESA for sponsoring this event.
Questions, call SERVPRO of E.&W. Vancouver/Clark Co. @ 360-254-0049